Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ici Writes of Her Father's Decision to Flee Romania

Both of my parents were raised in Nagyvarad. They also married there, and my five siblings were born there too. First four boys, and then to their great joy, a girl, my sister Kato’. (She had the audacity to choose Christmas Eve for her birthday, sending my father in the middle of the night for a midwife. Those times, babies used to be born at home and seldom with doctors assistance). Even the four brothers were happy at her arrival. The youngest, two years old Gyozo, jumped up and down yelling "Nan, nan!" (Lany, lany! - Girl, girl!). The name "Nan" stuck, it became her nickname.

Unfortunately they had to leave Nagyvarad soon. The Treaty of Trianon (1920) awarded Transylvania to Romania, and, since my father refused to swear allegiance to the new regime, he was expelled from the country. He had to leave in forty eight hours. His belongings and family were packed in a railroad wagon and sent over the Hungarian border.

The journey to the first large Hungarian city took two weeks. Refugee wagons were put on sidetracks often, as not to interfere with the regular traffic. Kato, the baby, arrived very sick, almost dying of diarrhea. She lost so much weight that when she finally got over it, she weighed hardly more than at birth.

I came about five years later, a surprise child. Probably this was the reason why I became my father's favorite and why he spoiled me to death.

We lived then in Szeged, where my father was employed by the Hungarian Post Office.

8 comments:

Susan said...

I thank you for sharing part of Ici Neni's story. I am hopeful there's more to come!

Anonymous said...

Dear Kitty ! Thank you for sending the blog for me.I am sorry to inform you however I could not open it.The computer indicated some syntax problems.I am glad that She is so active .Best wishes and warm regards uncle Charles.

(note, this was posted by the blog owner, and we are trying to resolve why Dr. Lapis couldn't view the blog from Budapest. In the meanwhile, I'll be emailing him the postings).

Kitty @ Four Toms and a Mom said...

Susan,
I'm so glad you and your parents are reading this. I'm hoping that your parents can add more understanding of these memoirs since they were there, using comments. (I hope my brothers and sisters reading this have figured out that you are the Susan they grew up with!)

Susan said...

Just so everyone else knows, I, "Susan", am the youngest child of George & Noemi Haksch. When I was young, I enjoyed visiting Aunt Ici's family.

ILDIKO MARGIE said...

Wow, Kitty...

This is great!..are there more chapters coming?

Mama had a book sent to her by a relative 2 years ago, that was a history of sorts of the
Kovacs family...it has pictures of our Nagypapa & Nagymama..all of Mama's siblings, and
even Mama in it..do you think that we could get it translated somehow? That would be a
wonderful gift to us all if we could.. it was written by Peter Kovacs and entitled:
TORMELEK which I think means either "history" or "happenings"...I'll
ask Mama tomorrow. She had read the book when she received it but was quite saddened by it
as there was a sad account of a small child in it during a bombing during the War..so I
brought the book home as she asked me to...it was printed in 2006...
Margie

ILDIKO MARGIE said...

Found out that Tormelek, the title of the book written by Peter Kovacs, means" "this & that", or "bits & pieces", or could mean "rubble". "ruins"..

It's an account of the Kovacs family during WWI, WWII, and the 56 revolution...I googled it and found it to have a ISBN #...I plan to give it to Kitty when whe comes here in May..so that maybe she can get it translated..It has many photos that all the family will recognize, of Mama, Nagypapa, Uncle Frank,Katoneni..
Margie

ILDIKO MARGIE said...

-talked to Mama today who said that another good english word for Tormolek was"crumbs".
Margie

Anonymous said...

Amazing stuff Kitty! I am so grateful you and Mama took the effort to preserve this.